Grilled Vegetable Poboys
With the weather cooling, now is a great time to fire up the grill. These Grilled Vegetable Po-boys make both a great addition to your tailgating menu and a quick, easy weeknight dinner.
Grilled vegetable marinade
- 1 cup olive oil/vegetable oil mix
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh garlic
- 1/4 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Roasted garlic spread
- 1/4 cup roasted garlic
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 pound Japanese eggplant, half peeled so eggplant looks “striped”, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1/2 pound red onion, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1/2 pound zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 cup grilled vegetable marinade
- 4 6-inch po’ boy loaves, cut in half horizontally
- 1 cup roasted garlic spread
- tomato slices
- lettuce, julienned
- 6 ounces fontina cheese, sliced
To prepare Grilled Vegetable Marinade: Combine all ingredients—oil, vinegar, garlic, rosemary, salt, and pepper—in blender container. Purée.
To prepare Roasted Garlic Spread: Combine all ingredients—garlic, mayonnaise, salt, and pepper—in blender container. Purée.
To prepare Vegetables: Combine eggplant, onion, zucchini, and marinade; mix well. Set aside to marinate for 20 minutes. Grill vegetables over hot coals until tender, turning frequently. Do not char. Peel the pepper and slice.
To serve, spread both halves of po’ boy loaves with roasted garlic spread. Place tomato and lettuce on bottom halves, then top with grilled vegetables and fontina cheese. Top with loaf tops. Slice each po’ boy in half and serve.